Week 4 tute 10 -12
I’ve been trying to formulate a topic for the essay. Thus far if I was asked how searching the library has guided me, I would respond that it has frustrated and thwarted my every attempt to come up with a topic. I have decided I want to do something on the social impact of new comm technologies. I want to illuminate not only the positivities but indeed the negativities and their affects upon society. Perhaps iI will hit it from a religious angle, I'm yet to decide. Anyway , I have been searching for resources in the library and, as per tutorial instructions, stumbled upon 3 academic articles related to my topic.
1. Online Communication: Linking Technology, Identity, & Culture - its about how tech changes have changed how people communicate. IT focuses on how computer-mediated communication seems to blur the line between immediate communication and mediated communication.
Futhermore it examines how individuals come to create their online identities and how they use these identities to communicate in a variety of relationships online. These include romantic relationships, work relationships, online therapy relationships, and virtual community relationships
2. the next article titled Are We Disconnected?, is about how many people believe technology enhances their lives. It presents a debate on whether today's technology is isolating people from each other.
3.The third article is titled The Technological Fix: How People Use Technology to Create and Solve Problems. The title is basically what it is about.
Secondly the tutorial had to complete the scavenger hunt questions (without using google). The answers to the questions are below:
The largest pumpkin ever grown is 1,502 pounds- October 7, 2006 http://www.pumpkinnook.com/giants/record.htm
An adult giraffe's tongue is 27" long http://www.flying-dreams.com/spotted/facts.php
Ontology - A branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature and relations of being http://www.answers.com/topic/ontology
Meaning - studying the stuff which is considered to make up reality
Cronenberg's first effort was a 1966 short film called "Transfer," - www.salon.com/people/bc/1999/11/30/cronenberg
The Hacker's Manifesto was Written on January 8, 1986 http://www.technozen.com/manifesto.htm
555 was unassigned as a dialling code in the US and could thus be used to prefix fictional numbers with impunity http://www.guardian.co.uk/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-2357,00.html
The cheapest form of travel from Crete to Rhodes is Ferry
Brisbane punk band Black Assassins - http://www.brisbanewritersfestival.com.au/2005/content/standard.asp?name=StockwellS
Lastly we have to answer several questions.
1. What is a search engine?
Search engines maintain databases of web sites and use programs (often referred to as "spiders" or "robots") to collect information, which is then indexed by the search engine.
2. How do search engines rank the stuff they find on the internet?
Search engine ranking is a measure of the online promotional success of a web page or website.
3. My favourite search engines are Google and Yahoo. I use these because of the popularity and the fact that the satisfy my needs. I don't really know if other engines offer anything that these two don't.
4. There is a lot of action that is performed by Google. For example their acquisition of You Tube a while ago (which is being sued by Viacom). Recently microsoft was in the news for faulting google on its copyright protection practices.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment