Tuesday

Tute 3 10 -12

Hello y'all,

From broadcast to narrowcast eh???

New communication technologies have blended into, well, life as we know it. Such a reliance exists that if it were suddenly removed from existence businesses would crumble, economies would crash and there would be a lot of desperate people devastated over the loss of their myspace page.

I probably haven't used the postal service in quite a while. And lets face it, I'm not the type of guy who has the attention span to write a 3 page letter nor the handwritting (I have the penmanship of a drunk 4 year old with no fingers). The advent of E-mailing brought with it speed, low cost and efficiency, and nice writing. With a majority of my family overseas, its probably my most used form of communication to them.

Sharing information between my friends, you know, like uni stuff or files, is probably what i use communication technologies for the most. I got the bluetooth going on, i'm using the usb key, the mp3 player is being used as a transfer device, and i'm talking to them on the 3G phone. I'm not using the video calling though. My mobile phone is the handiest thing i own but in the same breath i can say i miss the days when i never had one. Sometimes you just wanna detach for the world, be left alone. With all the new com technologies its pretty hard to do... or at least its pretty hard to make up an excuse as to why you can't be found. I dislike sms. I'd rather call and tell the person in a clear statement than have them interpret the artifical semantics of a 60 character message.
Yeah life has changed for me in the last twelve years. The internet came about and opened up a world of information and opportunites. I threw away the encyclopedias and burnt the dictionary. I find it harder to read a book than to read a screen. I use skype to call overseas and talk to my friends more nowadays than ever due to msn messenger. Actually thats probably how i communicate with my friends the most in a non face to face capacity. I guess i just caught on to the trend. Thats the thing with all of these technologies. You are basically forced to use them to survive. Adapt, deal with the new communication rules or die. I guess there wont be any stopping the juggernaut that is new communication technology.

No comments: